Search This Blog

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Poverty alert for Fulton County

hey,
So I was on my home from the show tonight and my mom and I decided to get a treat. We stop at Pinkberry for some FroYo and when we get the bill for two small chocolate froyos with strawberries, it was almost $8. $8! For two small cups of frozen milk! and what was more, on the way home on the radio, there was an ad saying that american families should help create inflation! OMG, as if the cost of things wasn't bad enough already. So I decided to look at Poverty levels and other stats of my county (Fulton). Looking at the stats for my county while sitting in my nice Brookhaven house almost made me throw up the overpriced froyo.
  • 28.1% of families in fulton are mother only
  • 100,000 people over 25 has a highschool diploma (out of 527,738... )
  • almost 9% are unemployed (nationally is 5.7%)
  • 11.23 % of households make less than $10,000 a year
  • 15.73% poverty rate
  • 12.4 % of families live in poverty
  • 22.97% of children under 18 living with poverty
  • 74.42% of the poverty group is Black... 7.7% is hispanic
These facts are from a UGA study of Poverty in GA (click here)

There is just a little something to mull over (check out your own county)
~Catherine Korizno

No comments:

Post a Comment